Jump to the main content block

APC Brief History

 

 

Centennial University of Taipei Heading Towards the Top 500

 

 

The Department adheres by the school motto of “justice, integrity, diligence, and prudence”. In conjunction with our university development, the Department strives toward the development goal of clear positioning as “a comprehensive university focused on urban development”. The Department’s predecessor can be traced back to the Department of Mathematical Education setup in 1987. At the time, the Department aimed to cultivate elementary school teachers with expertise in mathematics and science education. In 2001, the Department of Mathematical Education was divided into the Department of Mathematical Information Education and the Department of Natural Sciences Education. In line with the “teacher diversification” policy of the Ministry of Education (MOE), the Department began cultivating non-elementary school teachers who were scientific talents and recruited teachers with research expertise every year. After the school was re-organized into an education university in 2006, the original Department of Natural Scientific Education was further transformed into the Department of Natural Sciences, with “cultivating non-elementary school teachers who were scientific talents” as the development focus. The Department then branched out into the Earth and Life Science Group and Applied Physics and Chemistry Group. In particular, the Applied Physics and Chemistry Group was approved by the MOE on June 16th, 2008 (by letter of tai-kao-2-tzu No. 0970112114) to be transformed into a non-teacher training group, recruiting three professional physics teachers and two professional chemistry teachers whose job was to help students improve their science related knowledge. On July 14th, 2011, the MOE (by letter of tai-kao-2-tzu 099120765B) approved the reorganization of the Applied Physics and Chemistry Group into the Department of Applied Physics and Chemistry (Incl. Master’s Program). Teachers with physics and chemistry research expertise were recruited to enhance the professional standard of the curriculums and ensure interconnectivity between domestic and international universities. In particular, the Master’s Program was divided into the Science Group and the Scientific Education Group, the former targeting scientific research and the latter continuing the former Graduate Institute of Scientific Education’s mission of providing training to natural science elementary school teachers and in-service teachers. In 2018, the MOE (by letter of tai-chiao-kao-4-tzu No. 1070130360) approved on August 6th the renaming of the original Department of Applied Physics and Chemistry (Incl. Master’s Program) into the Department of Applied Physics and Chemistry (Incl. Master’s Program of Applied Science) and Department of Applied Physics and Chemistry (Incl. Master's Program of Applied Science for In-service Adults). The relevant history is described below:

  • 1895: Established Chih Shan Yen School

  • 1896: Renamed Taiwan Governor-General’s National Language School at Taipei City Wall-South Gate.

  • 1919: Reorganized into Taiwan Governor-General’s Normal School

  • 1964: Promoted into “Taiwan Provincial Taipei Girls’ Normal Specialized Postsecondary College” better known as “Girls’ Normal College”.

  • 1967: Taipei City was promoted into a special municipality. The girls’ normal college came under the jurisdiction of Taipei City and was renamed the Taipei Girls’ Normal Specialized Postsecondary College.

  • 1987: Promoted to Taipei Municipal Teachers College, with the Department of Mathematical Education setup and division into Natural Sciences Group and Mathematics Group for the second year.

  • 1998: Established the Graduate Institute of Scientific Education, Taipei University of Education.

  • 1999: Recruited students for the Master’s Program for In-service Teachers’ Teaching.

  • 2001: The Department of Mathematical Education was divided into the Department of Natural Sciences Education and the Department of Mathematical Information Education.

  • 2005 August: Re-organized into “Taipei Municipal University of Education” and set up the College of Science.

  • 2006: The Department of Natural Sciences Education was renamed the Department of Natural Sciences; included the Department of Natural Sciences (Master’s Program) and integrated with the Graduate Institute of Scientific Education into the Department of Natural Sciences (Master’s Program of Scientific Education Group) and the Department of Natural Sciences (Master’s Program of Science Group).

  • 2011: The Department of Natural Sciences Applied Physics and Chemistry Group became independently setup as the Department of Applied Physics and Chemistry.

  • 2013August 1st: The University of Taipei and the Taipei Physical Education College was integrated and reorganized into the University of Taipei (abbreviated as UT or UOT).

  • 2018 August 1st The Department of Applied Physics and Chemistry (Master’s Program) was renamed the Master's Program of Applied Science/Master's Program of Applied Science for In-service Adults.

Click Num:

Login

Login Success